Monday, September 28, 2009

O Brew Pub, My Brew Pub

It's all I can think about. Constantly trying to come up with the perfect name for the pub. Or, a good theme, so the beer can all be named thematically. I've thought about TV Shows (see Previous Post about ideas for beer names), maybe a movie? It could be an engineering theme, since that's my actual profession. Maybe "The Fermentary". Does that sound gross?

Regardless, the Brew Pub is on my mind even more today because it's Home brewing Class Day!

M and I signed up for this class with another friend. The first week, we made a batch of beer. It will be a Pale Ale-style beer. The teacher of the class is the owner of the home brew supply store in town. He is, shall we say, NOT a germophobe. The first night, he coughed right into our precious boiling beer! We boiled it out on the sidewalk and laughed that a squirrel might land in the pot "But don't worry, that will filter out!" The second week, we tried 14 different kinds of Ale. We learned that the difference between Ale and Lager is that Ale is fermented warm, while Lager is fermented cold. Some of the ales we tried were really good (Frambois = Panty Dissolver, according to the teacher). There were Fresh Hopped India Pale Ales, and malty brown ales. Yum! The third week, we bottled our brew and tried a few more kinds of beer. We also had more of a chance to look around the store and find what we wanted to buy. This week, we're trying several different kinds of Lagers and taking a field trip to a Brew Pub in the Village called "Two Rows."

Taking this class has been a blast. I'm really glad M got it for us for my birthday. I'm really hoping that we can start to brew some of our own beer. I want to start really getting some good recipes together for The Fermentary!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Can't wait to try some of your home brew. Yum!

    ReplyDelete