Monday, September 21, 2009

Running Entry #1

For those of you reading along who don't know me, I am currently training for The Chevron Houston Marathon.

Background:

I ran Cross Country and Track in High School - 1997-2002 (now you know how old I am). My high school athletic prowess peaked my junior year track season (All-Regional! 800m time - 2:27!) And my senior year cross country season (21:21 5k!). My senior year track season was disappointing and I didn't want to run after that for a long time.

Then, I moved to Houston and started gaining weight. I tried joining a gym, but I got bored with the elliptical and felt lame being on a treadmill when I could just go run outside. In March/April 2008 I started running outside, did a 5k in June '08, and caught the bug. Trained for a 1/2 marathon in February 2009 (2:15!). Took a few weeks/months off, and now I've been training with InFlight Running since May 30, 2009.



This past weekend, I had my first ever 16 mile weekend. Ran 10 miles on Saturday morning at 11:30 pace (as has been the pattern) and ran 6 miles on Sunday night. My first 3 miles were a little slow, but I was a little achy and tired from the 10 miles the day before. My second 3 miles were faster and I felt really good. I got home and felt like I wanted to just go out and run more! Unfortunately, the result of my big weekend is that I am sore sore sore today. And it does not help that I am sitting down all day. I need to remember to get up every now and then just to stretch out my legs!

I am feeling good, though. A few aches and pains here and there, but overall, good. And starting to feel like I'm really getting in shape. This marathon thing might be doable after all! Eek!


Upcoming Races:

No comments:

Post a Comment