Tuesday, October 6, 2009

So, this might turn into a running blog...

Running Post #1378 Coming At You.

I'm going to try not to let this turn into a running blog. If I'm being honest, though, running is something that consumes my thoughts for which I do not have many other outlets. At least with politics and reality TV, there are Real! Live! People! who are willing and able to hold their own in a discussion. With running, no one cares as much as I do. And that's fine, but I've got to get it out!

So this coming weekend, I have a race. It's my first ten mile race ever (bonus! automatic PR!). It's the first long-distance race since my half marathon last February. Plus, it's the beginning of a series of races that are incorporated into training for a full marathon. As a result of all of these factors, I am struggling to come up with a goal time or pace.

If I'm honest, I'd love to maintain 10 minute miles. If I'm honest, I'd admit that I don't think it's possible.

I'm training at around an 11:00-11:40/mile pace for my long runs. I rarely time the short ones. Sundays six miler seemed quick for my second half, but I didn't hit the 'lap' button at the halfway point, so I have no idea how fast I was actually going, only how long it took to complete the entire 6 miles, including a short bathroom/water break. And it was an 11:20 pace. Since I have to continue training, and run a half marathon 2 weeks later, I'm not sure that even trying to maintain 10:00/mile is a good idea. I'm not tapering and I am scheduled to run 12 miles only one week later.

So since I'm not honest, I'm shooting for 11 minutes/mile which means finishing in one hour, fifty minutes. It can be done!!

And, in an effort to NOT let this turn into a running blog: IN OTHER NEWS -

M and I decided to take a month off from our home church for various reasons. Some of those reasons include me doing a road race 2 Sundays in October. Other reasons include sleeping in and attending a later service closer to home. Other reasons include visiting other churches to renew our focus for our own. Other reasons include finding out if there are churches closer to us that meet our needs and who have needs we can meet. Other reasons include taking 4 weeks off of being early, setting up, singing, and packing back up to recharge our batteries. Other reasons include several that I have not mentioned here.

Last week, we attended First Presbyterian Church. It was nice, but too large for my taste. Plus, I was supremely distracted by the incompetence of the person in charge of the power point presentation. It is unacceptable to have the lyrics to the song on delay. If you want us to sing along, you've got to show us the words. We did run into two people we sort of knew, however. One neighbor from our condo and, incidentally, the girl I stood next to at my Knife Skillz class at Sur La Table only 3 days prior. I am regularly surprised by how much our HUGE city of 4 million people can feel like a small town. It's one of the reasons I love Houston, despite the lack of Fall weather.

theRage, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment