Monday, October 12, 2009

Space City 10 Mile Race

Sunday morning I did my first ever 10 mile race. The race went really well and I felt GREAT throughout. I used my new running watch to record splits and for the first time in any race ever, I didn't miss a single split! Here they are:
 
  1. 10.20
  2. 10.08
  3. 10.12
  4. 10.13
  5. 10.16
  6. 10.10
  7. 10.03
  8. 10.05
  9. 10.00
  10. 9.10
 
For an official time of 1:40.41!! I'm so happy with how consistent I was (for the most part!) and I am surprised by how much I still had in me at the end!
 
I looked at the McMillan running calculator to guess what my pace should be and it said 10:30 pace, but when I ran 10:20 the first mile, I felt good, so I just decided to stick with that. The first mile is always a little slower, since you're weaving in and out of people trying to find a spot to stick. I think if I did it again, I'd try to stay under 10/mile and not have an exceptionally fast last mile, but I'm really happy with how it went.
 
I was never worried about my pace being too fast. Just took it one mile at a time and looked at my watch only at the mile markers. When I felt like I had slowed down, I just sped up. When I was getting to the end and felt like I could go faster, I just did! I took a gel at 4 miles and it didn't upset my stomach or anything. I think at the half in November, I'll try to add another gel at 8 miles. Overall: So happy, and so pumped for my next race!

No comments:

Post a Comment